Pages

Sunday 9 October 2011

TWO STAGES IN ONE DAY

They were two fairly short stages, but it's amazing what a coffin sized tent and the promise of a 10 pound a night dorm bed does for personal motivation.

What should have been Welsh Bicknor to Leominster and Leominster to Shrewsbury, was all done in one day. The second 75 mile day of the trip so far, this time, with no return of the dreaded Achilles injury that brought leg one to a premature end.

The start of the day was somewhat frustrating with plenty of hills, as well as a cold temperature, intermittent drizzle and a moderate noreasterly, all inhibiting progress. I cracked on however, and after reaching Ludlow later in the day, and a good portion of chips, sausage and gravy (I am a northerner, at heart), I pressed on. This was the first cycle into the night and donning my high vis and lights I kept pushing myself on, even testing my new emergency battery charger to good effect with a timely call to the next YHA to confirm my late arrival.

Informed that there was a 'beast of a climb' approaching the hostel, I was naturally filled with great enthusiasm and kept those by now tired legs moving. I was not disappointed of course, although suitably confused by the signage. This lead to scaring at least one local resident with a late knock on the door to ask for directions. With fog outside and strange lights, it must have rekindled memories of close encouters of the third kind.

Finally reaching Wilderbeast, or rather Wilderhope YHA as I found later was the correct spelling, I was suitably impressed by what is a very old building, complete with original oak stepped staircases and castle like rooms. The dorm I was advised was to be shared by a group of bell ringers, who I was suprised to find were very young.

One unfortunately did suffer from what must have been the worst case of sleep apnia i have some across yet. Needless to say, three of us simulaneously made a swift bolt for the next dorm. There was indeed a wilderbeest at large...

No comments:

Post a Comment