Pages

Friday 21 October 2011

LEJOG - THE LAST POST

As I get up this morning to a day without a destination to cycle to, it's time for some reflection over the last month or so that's it's taken to complete the journey from Lands end in Cornwall to John O'Groats in Scotland.

First off, it's been tough and there have been many times when I've questioned the sanity of such an expedition. I've suffered physically and pushed myself mentally to places I've never gone before to achieve the daily goals.

But then, looking at it the other way, it wouldn't be a challenge if it had been easy without any pain.

Heading out in the autumn, I've faced all weathers. Some beautiful sunshine in Devon, to cold, wet and windy weather as I ventured further north.

Of course, there's been the hills. Lots of them. Devon and Cornwall lived up to their reputation as being the hardest part of the trip on that score, although, to say things have been pain sailing since would be a lie. Truth is we live in a very hilly isle, and there wasn't a day where there wasn't the need to change down into the lowest gear. One thing's for sure, the UK is not Holland.

There's also been injury and accident and equipment loss to add to the mix.

On the other hand the journey has also had it's moments. The views from some of the climbs, the spectacular scenery of the Scottish landscape and the B road olde worlde spots, castles and stately homes you wouldn't normally find if you were travelling by car.

Most notably, it's the people I've met on the way. It's also been a spiritual journey. A visit to places having family and ancestral significance as a member of the Mackie clan. And an opportunity for introspection and self awareness. Even at 40 plus with an open mind, you can learn about yourself. Your strengths and your, weaknesses.

It's been a solo journey without support vehicles, so I've had to carry all my equipment and deal with any issues myself, which it's a poetic reflection of my adult life. I've had to be independent and self reliant.

That said, it would be wrong to say I've done this journey on my own. There have been many times, as a Christian, I have sensed the presence of God, including specific directions in the small details of the day to day journey, some potentially life saving.

For those of you without any spiritual convictions, you may describe this as focusing on the present and listening to your conscience and gut instinct or your inner voice in all that you do.

In a more human sense, there have been many people that have helped me on the way and contributed to me achieving the goal. Thanks goes to the following cycle shops for timely maintenance assistance:

The cycle shop, Penzance
The bike shed, Barnstaple
Seven valley cycles, Lydney
Evans cycles, Manchester

Thanks to Scotrail for the complimentary rail travel back from a Wick to Manchester.

The Yha and SYha for their assistance with accommodation.

Huge appreciation goes to Daf Merion and family, Doug and Sheila Mitchell, Pieter and Elria Kwant, as well as Phil and Anne Kennedy for the amazing hospitality I received in my stop overs in Preston, Kendal, Carlisle and Fort William. In each case after a wet day's cycle, it was amazing  to have a hot shower/bath, dry off my wet cycling gear. I thoroughly enjoyed the great meals and Christian fellowship to send me on my way feeling refreshed and refuelled.

A big thanks to John Campbell for his company and unburdening me of my camping equipment and making the cycle from Oban to Inverness so much easier.

Thank you to those who have donated on route:

Les Jackson, Cornwall
Newark farm b & b, Sanquhar
Tina May, Strathpeffer

There's also all those who have already sponsored me on line and will donate via the Virgin giving web page to Save the Children. A big thanks to all of you  - I'll be sending each of you a personal email.

And also finally, thanks to all of you who have been following my progress over the last few weeks and for all those emails and words of encouragement, they have been much appreciated.

While this is the last official post, I will add a technical foot note with some tips on approach and equipment, etc, for those perhaps interested in undertaking this trip themselves.

So with that, thanks for reading and your support and all the best to you.

And now after a rude awakening on the Caledonian sleeper (now there is a contradiction in terms), it's back to, yes you've guessed it...Preston!

That's what you might call going back to reality.

Bruce




No comments:

Post a Comment