Pages

Sunday 16 October 2011

NEEDLE IN A HAY STACK

Today was a day of mixed blessings. Having met another cyclist in the Oban yha, John very kindly offered to take my camping equipment on to Inverness, meaning I could cycle for at least three next trip days with half the weight.

I also awoke to the first bit of sunshine of this leg and fine glorious views of Oban bay.

Setting off without waterproofs and my cleated cycle shoes, I was looking forward to hopefully the first enjoyable day of cycling for some time.

This was in fact the case until around 7 miles into the journey, I looked down to find that my cycle computer had jumped ship.

Not wanting to be without the obvious advantages of the speed displays, I was also desperate not to lose my record of the total distance recorded by the odometer.

This forced an about turn and a cycle back to search for the errant device. Having reached the beginning again, I turned round once again to scan as I cycled, third time on the correct side of the road.

Needless to say, after two legs the small black round object didn't reappear.

Gutted I carried on and shed a tear for the cruelness of life over a stop for lunch. I had sought, but not found. I had prayed but my prayer had not been answered. It seems God does not respond to a pre-middle aged tantrum about a cycle computer.

Trying to make peace with my loss, I continued on, receiving some consolation from the spectacular scenery unfolding before me.

This was short lived, however as the heavens began to open once more, testing the by know, poorly respected Altura jacket with intermittent showers.

Then it occurred to me. Perhaps, the computer had gone on strike in protest at the threat of redundancy ar the Altura factory, organised by UCA (Union of cycle accessories). What would it take to coax it back to work? Then I, reminded myself the holiday on Zetron 5 was over. I was in the west coast of Scotland.

Finally, with light starting to fade, I approached Fort William, nestling under the shadow of Glen Nevis, to the home of Phil Kennedy and wife as well as second guest. Once again amazing home cooked food, conversation and generous hospitality were gratefully received.







No comments:

Post a Comment