Pages

Sunday 9 October 2011

LEJOG - THE RESTART

After my planned return to Manchester, I managed to get through the usual bike reservations hassles to board a train to Manchester to Lydney, Gloucestershire to restart the faltering LEJOG trip.

However, nothing is simple in life, is it?

After a change of chain previously recommended, I found that things were slipping before I even left Manchester. So having rushed down to Evans cycles, I got a new rear wheel cassette which was fitted by Severn valley cycles in Lydney. This unfortunately only solved part of the problem, as I then learnt that there was also wear to the front sprocket and with limited spare availability for an old system, I was forced to crack on with only two front rings useable. I think the old addage, 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' may apply here...

However, if that wasn't enough to start off with, I then found myself getting lost in the forest of Dean, dodgy sign posting or, possibly a error of navigation? The former of course!

After going round in circles for some time, I finally managed to make it north to Welsh Bicknor, which is confusingly listed in the English section of the YHA booklet. More confusion reigned as I found myself on the wrong side of the river Wye and after some strange directions from a local, I managed to battle my way with my bike under a gate, over steps and an old railway bridge and down a river side track to the night's hostelry.

Of course, by this stage, light was fading and as I started to pitch up next to the river...it started to rain.

The tent being a new smaller tent recently aquired to attempt to save weight, was not so easy to erect for the first time in the dark - I sense another addage here...any hoo, seeing what looked like an over sized coffin, with the cold and rain settling in made me re think my plan for the evening.

So, in I swiftly went to the hostel reception and into the dorm I just as swifly relocated!

Feeling somewhat worn out by the day's challenges, I was rewarded by the company of another Swiss cyclist, sharing some much needed pesto and pasta and a good old bottle of English ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment