Pages

Wednesday 19 October 2011

HELMS DEEP

So peeps, after a day off in Inverness during out a few things and visiting Aunty Ada in Daviot, today, it was time to get back into the saddle and hit the road once again.

This unfortunately was literally what happened after a small detour visiting the Mackie lair (plot) in Mitchell hill cemetery, Dingwall. In what was the main residence for several ancestors, I made a stop behind the Greenrooms cafe for some lunch and to try to warm up from a very chilly snap. After a chin wash with some locals and generous donation by Tina May of Strathpeffer I set off again.

After riding out of the town for a few miles, I had an 'off' caused by some leaf slush on the wrong side of a drain. This caused the front wheel to lose grip and I found myself giving the tarmac a closer inspection than I would have personally chosen.

Getting up quickly, I looked behind and saw a stationary line of traffic. To my observation, the lead driver must have reacted quickly to prevent what could have been squashed Mackie on toast.

After a furtive inspection, aside from some minor damage to my mirror and panniers, I was fortunate to have escaped without any injuries. Given the speed I was travelling, I really don't know how this was, domine must have been looking after me - praise be to God!

Keen to reach my goal for the day and the penultimate battle with the pedals, I soon got going again. The coast line north from Inverness is quite remote, so aside from some small hamlets and towns, you have the opportunity of some really spectacular scenery.

Needing to cover 65 miles, today was another big day and I only reached the outskirts of Helmsdale and Jutta's b & b in Portgowan after dark.

An interesting set up, Jutta's is run by a German family originally from Bavaria. Why they would want to move to Scotland us something I will need to quizz them more about over tomorrow's breakfast.

With that, I will sign off until my next and hopefully final blog post, before the match sticks propping up my eyelids collapse.

Good night and sweet dreams.









No comments:

Post a Comment